Saturday, September 19, 2009

RIP Henry Gibson

I was saddened to see the obituary for him in the LA Times on Thursday. He was awesome on Laugh In and I liked him as the judge on Boston Legal, too.

This was in his biography about his days on Laugh In. I remember actually seeing this episode and the thought of it still makes me laugh:

Gibson was best known as the poet, holding a large flower and beginning his brief recitations with his signature catchphrase, "A poem, by Henry Gibson."
"He wrote all those himself," Jon Gibson (his son) said. It was a point of pride that he only read poems that he himself wrote."
During one of his frequent guest appearances on the show, John Wayne spoofed Gibson by coming around the wall holding a flower and delivering "A poem, by John Wayne."
"Roses are red, violets are green," Wayne said, "Get off your butt and join the Marines."
Can you imagine being spoofed by John Wayne?! How cool is that?!
I'll miss ya, Henry.

4 comments:

Lefty Sloane said...

Sorry to hear about the passing. I liked the poem.
JM

Putz said...

how are you friends with blondiefabulous?????????????i have followed for a year and i think she is so neat, energetic, opptomistic and like she says faboulous

Blondefabulous said...

I saw that the other day. I'll always remember him as the over zealous Neo-Nazi in the "Blues Brothers". Such an excellent actor!

phinz said...

@Julie--yeah! Typical John Wayne, huh?!

@putz--I think I followed her from bpr. And yes, she IS fabulous!

@blonde--that was a GREAT role!