Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Any Opinion?

I have jury duty this week. So far I haven't had to report, so that means two days down, three to go. I've felt like a kid out of school both days!

People are divided when it comes to jury duty. A lot of people just dread it, like going to the dentist. Others find it immensely interesting and don't mind it at all. Personally, I find the thought of passing official judgement on somebody intimidating. What I say will affect lives, possibly in a huge way. What if I'm wrong? I was summoned once before but wasn't chosen.

How do you feel? Aside from the inconvenience, missing work or school, and having to sit around all day, how do you feel about performing jury service? Has anyone sat in a jury on an interesting case?

2 comments:

Blondefabulous said...

If my faith in the justice system wasn't so shaken every time I see a ridiculous case being tried at taxpayer expense, or a case where the guy is guilty, but gets off on a technicality, I would love to go serve, but all the posturing and double talking done by the legal community during trial makes it difficult to feel my civic duty.

I would get out of it anyway, what with the two dependent minors who have a chronic illness and need me.

phinz said...

@blonde--I know exactly what you mean! All that technicality b.s. is so frustrating, and so very possible--these days. I would feel SO rooked if something like that happened in a trial I was involved in.