Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Ohio Report

So, yeah, the driving was interesting last week during my visit home. And it was C.O.L.D. But I've been going back to visit for 5 years now, twice a year, and this is the worst I've run into. Anybody who lives in the northeast will tell you that's pretty good.

I wasn't able to visit as many people as I wanted to, as I said before. Sorry about that; I did try! My last evening there was supposed to be spent visiting at my brother J's house, with his wife, 4 kids and my 2-year-old great-nephew. Got halfway there and the road was completely covered--the snow plow passed me heading the other way, and it was STILL covered where he'd just scraped. It was coming down thick and getting dark outside. So I pulled into the parking lot of St. Joe Church and made the calls to cancel. Suckage.

Had yet another cozy evening with L&J--it's a good thing we all genuinely like each other!

I did get to see K, whom I met at the flower shop where we worked (we were both drivers). She works for another florist now--he's amazing. He does those weddings where people spend tens of thousands of dollars on the flowers alone. He also does football hall of fame induction parties (e.g. Troy Aikman's), decorates homes for Christmas, he has a wedding gig coming up in Puerto Rico, you get the idea. Very nice guy, very talented and very worth his fee. K, L & I had lunch at VegiTerranean in Akron, Chrissie Hynde's restaurant. The food was great and reasonably priced for the venue. I had an awesome portobello wrap with orzo salad. The conversation flowed and we ended up sitting and chatting for 2 hours.

Also got together with friends for dinner at Ray's Place in Kent (the very place Hubs insulted earlier, hahaha!). Another great time! Saw a few people I hadn't seen since I moved so that was definitely bonus. And Gertie's chili still rocks.

I left Ohio on Thursday. Dad drove me to the airport and all went smoothly . . . until our plane was late coming in. The American Airlines people did their best, no fault there, as far as I'm concerned. They did a quick turn-around once the plane did get there, and it was a full flight--which meant that about 30 business people who tried to carry on their bulging briefcases and overstuffed overnight bags had to valet-check them on the jetway. Bummer for them--and the rest of us, because THAT took another 10-15 minutes before we could finally take off.

We landed in Chicago and I had about 10 minutes before my connection to LA would start boarding. Everyone was on tenterhooks, worrying about making their flights. Too bad! As the pilot informed us, "We've been directed to standby until a gate opens up for us. We'll be sitting here about 20 minutes. Sorry, folks."

A groan swept through the cabin and cellphones were deployed. I called Hubs to let him know I probably wouldn't make the flight and we hoped his sister from Detroit--whom I had arranged to meet up with in Chicago so we could fly into LA together--wouldn't freak out if I wasn't there. He told me about the plane landing in the Hudson River and we decided that God was needed elsewhere, so possibly missing my connection wouldn't be such a tragedy after all.

Finally we got to the gate and deplaned--it was COLD! in that jetway--I checked the departure boards and zeroed in one the big red letters for Flt. 557: FINAL BOARDING!

I seldom actually run.

As I approached the gate, the door started to close. I called out, "Don't shut that door!" but it probably sounded more like, "*pant* Don' *gasp* shuuu *wheeze* th- *cough* doorrrrrr! *puff*"

VICTORY!!!!

I collapsed into my seat, huffing and puffing and getting hugged by M (Hub's sister), to the applause of nearby passengers. Well, I think they were applauding me, but maybe they were reacting to the announcement of the flight attendant:"Ladies and gentlemen, it is minus 21 degrees here in Chicago, and in LA, where we are heading, it is 68 degrees--that's about 80 degrees warmer. Prepare for take-off!"

No comments: