Tuesday, January 6, 2009

We're All In The Same Boat

Today another friend got laid off from her job.

It occurred to me that I've been basically "laid off" for weeks now; our family-owned and run business has been at next to nothing since about October. We closed down part of it, sold off that equipment and returned unused materials to the supplier for a refund--minus their 25% "restocking fee." This happened, mind you, in OCTOBER and we're just NOW scheduled to receive the check from them. Can you say, "Drag your feet" ?!

Like everyone else, we've cut down the spending. I ended my gym membership (which I admit I didn't use much), started finding less expensive alternatives for our vitamins and health & beauty products, and find myself shopping for groceries first at Trader Joe's (cheapest), then WalMart (less cheap), Target (mid-line) and THEN the regular grocery store. Lots more store branded products are in my cupboards these days, and I'm pleased that the quality is just as good. Although I knew that when I lived by myself, I kinda forgot when I married & moved in with my husband, who always liked to buy "the best." He didn't mind if I bought the name brand, so why not?! It was a luxury!

Does anyone else have a Sam's Club membership? Or Costco? We're Sam's people--the price of the membership is more than covered by what we save annually at their gas pumps alone. I also get milk there for $2.40/gallon--it hovers at $4/gallon in the grocery. Even clothes--I found Nine West jeans (the same people who bring us cute shoes & handbags!) there that actually FIT for $15 a pair--and they're trendy and cute!

What ways have you found to cut corners or costs and been pleasantly surprised by the results?

No comments: